How to Activate Sprint's Free Global Roaming Plan Before Your Vacation
Note: This post was last updated March 2018 for accuracy
On my way to Aruba a friend told me she heard I could text for free using my iPhone and Sprint mobile provider. I was surprised to hear it after a crappy experience battling lackluster service throughout my US road trip, so the international perk was surprising.
Nevertheless, I searched Sprint's website for a phone number to connect to their customer service line (which was an arduous journey in itself) and eventually called their sales line to be transferred.
I later found the official global roaming phone number: 888-226-7212. You're welcome.
I confirmed the good news: the rumor was true! I never received any notification about it BUT apparently the free international roaming benefit applied to my account automatically as I was using a qualifying iPhone 6s. Upon further inquiry I learned any Sprint account using iPhone 5 or later and Samsung Galaxy Note 5 or later can access this benefit (basically any LTE/GSM capable device). I've since travel to many countries using the perk -- including South America, Europe, Asia, and the Caribbean.
Here are the Sprint International "Roaming" plan details:
- 20¢ per minute for phone calls (HACK: I now use Sprint's FREE WIFI CALLING so I don't have to incur these charges)
- Unlimited texting to the USA and many international countries. Here is the list of countries from the Sprint website.
- Unlimited data up to 2G speed
Update: still working as of December 2017 and has expanded to more places (see the latest coverage map).
Update #2: The Sprint website now says that service is included with your LTE/GSM capable smartphone automatically. Since I travel long-term, I've been too afraid to test if this is true so still set it up before leaving the country.
Update #3 (March 2018): An official Sprint press release indicates you no longer need to activate global roaming. Here are the new instructions as posted February 2018:
If for some reason the new update isn't working for you, here's how to set up international roaming in 5 Steps the old way (IPHONE):
Step 1: While you're still in the USA, dial ##873283# and press "call". Instead of a call going through, it will hang up and a pop up notification will appear. The pop up will say: "Updating service data profile". Press OKAY.
Step 2: A second pop up will appear when complete, press OKAY again.
Step 3: Make sure roaming is turned on and CDMA turned off. To do this, go into settings ---> cellular ---> cellular data options ---> roaming ---> voice and data roaming "on" (will turn green when on) ---> international CDMA "off" (will turn white when off).
Step 4: Turn phone off for one minute and then back on to complete activation.
Step 5: The phone should now be all set to send and receive calls and messages while you are abroad.
Things to note:
- iMessage might have trouble when using international roaming (except for when it's operating over wifi). Turn off iMessage and use standard texting if this happens. (It didn't happen to me at all, but the Sprint associate warned about it.)
- To make international phone calls to the USA while abroad, dial 001 first, and then the full phone number.
- As far as using a country code when calling locally, I found phone calls in Aruba, worked just fine by dialing the area code 297 without the country code.
- If there are any problems, call Sprint at 001 817-698-4199, their international toll free number.
- Remember to turn data roaming back off upon return to ensure no domestic roaming charges.
Share this information!
share this simple, 5-step guide to turning on Sprint's free international roaming plan.
Let anyone who has Sprint know about this "secret"! They'll LOVE you for it. As a bonus, also tell them about activating the Free Wi-Fi Calling feature, now available on iOS and Android will all major US mobile carriers.